- explain to the patient that you will be touching them with a sharp object. Reassure them that it is disposable and has not been used on anyone else.
- for pain, use either a pin or the sharp end of a broken tongue depressor.
- use a cold tuning fork to assess temperature. If necessary, the tuning fork can be cooled by running it under cold water.
- ask the patient to report whether they feel sharp or dull or cold.
- ask the patient if the two sides feel the same.
Trigeminal Nerve – Pain and Temperature