- the examiner places themself approximately 1 meter in front of the patient.
ask the patient to look to each side, up and down following an “H” pattern.
- pursuit: ask the patient to follow a target such as your finger or a pen with their eyes without moving their head.
- pause at the ends of each direction of gaze to observe for nystagmus.
- assess saccadic eye movements by having the patient make quick horizontal and vertical eye movements.
- optokinetic nystagmus is performed by having the patient follow a series of moving horizontal or vertical stripes and observing for nystagmus.
Oculomotor, Trochlear, and Abducens Nerve